Detoxinista writes: A grain-free alternative to traditional pizza crust, that you can pick up with your hands!
Kristin writes: As I was squeezing out all that water from the cauliflower, I wondered why I didn’t just steam it in the microwave instead? I’ll definitely try that next time. The pizza turned out quite good. Next time I’ll bake the crust even longer to try to get it a little crisper. Maybe even use olive oil spray on the parchment?
- 4 cups raw cauliflower rice (about one medium head)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅓ cup soft goat cheese (chevre)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano and/or basil
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- To make the cauliflower rice, pulse batches of raw cauliflower florets in a food processor, until a rice-like texture is achieved.
- Fill a large pot with about an inch of water, and bring it to a boil. Add the “rice” and cover; let it cook for about 4-5 minutes. Drain into a fine-mesh strainer. (Or try microwaving in a covered dish for a few minutes.)
- THIS IS THE SECRET: Once you’ve strained the rice, transfer it to a clean, thin dishtowel. Wrap up the steamed rice in the dishtowel, twist it up, then SQUEEZE all the excess moisture out! It’s amazing how much extra liquid will be released, which will leave you with a nice and dry pizza crust.
- In a large bowl, mix up your strained rice, beaten egg, goat cheese, and herbs. (Don’t be afraid to use your hands! You want it very well mixed.) It won’t be like any pizza dough you’ve ever worked with, but don’t worry– it’ll hold together!
- Press the cauliflower mixture out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (Spray the parchment with olive oil spray?) (It’s important that it’s lined with parchment paper, or it will stick.) Keep the dough about ⅓” thick, and make the edges a little higher for a “crust” effect, if you like.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 400F. The crust should be firm, and golden brown when finished.
- Now’s the time to add all your favorites– sauce, cheese, and any other toppings you like. Return the pizza to the 400F oven, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, just until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Slice and serve immediately!